Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Okame Chameleon

"Okame, kameh, kameh, kameh, kameh, chameleuuuuuuuuuuun...."

Don't you miss the days when Boy George was normal?



Much cheerier than 'I Beat My Sex Slave Up And Now I Do Community Service' George.



Although, he still can rock a dust mask and work gloves like nobody's business!

All right, let's get to it. Gentlemen?

*cue fanfare*


I am now the proud owner of an Okame Cherry tree!


Mr. A is the most wonderful man on earth for buying it for me. Although I worry that he didn't buy this wonderful present simply out of the goodness of his heart. Maybe he just couldn't take the 'mope face' anymore.

Nobody mopes like Kyna mopes!


I am happy to say that I dug most of the massive planting hole myself. Mr. A would probably have insisted on doing it all for me, but he was busy fixing my car. Jack-of-All-Trades, he is! :)

This pic shows you how terrible our soil is here. Clay and sand make a colossal concrete-like substance. A pickaxe would have been a more appropriate tool for this mess. And this picture doesn't even show the finished hole-size...



I have sore shoulders and a couple of nasty blisters for my efforts. And I'm walking around in a cloud of dirt like Pig-Pen from Peanuts.



Even though this type of cherry does okay in clay, I did tote home a bag of soil, and a bag of cow peat to make the growing situation better. All of the work was worth it...this is the most beautiful tree ever! And it's just starting to bloom. Okame Cherries are one of the first trees to start flowering for the spring.






The flowers will only last a little while, but they're awesome. And Okames tend to have a longer flowering period of any Cherry. They'll get me through the last part of winter at least. And even when the tree has no leaves in the colder parts of the year, the bark is still pretty to look at. Satiny brown and shiny...


I wish I could have had it a little closer to the house, but we have a huge septic tank field in the backyard. It had to be a little ways out. I was originally going to put it in the front yard, but we decided we wanted to be able to see it more often. We sit on the back porch as an everyday afternoon ritual. Usually with a brew-ski :)




I've wanted a cherry tree since I started gardening in this house, and thanks to Mr. A, there it is! I'd do a dance (I always do a little dance when I'm happy), but I'm way too exhausted. All I can manage is a weak arm-flapping and pitiful butt-wiggling. The joy is on the inside!



The only thing I worry about is lichen growing on it. Our neighbours have three apple trees, and the trunks look like they're wearing green beards. Bleah. I had to wait till the neigbour left, so I could run into their yard and take a picture without looking like a lunatic. I probably looked like one anyway ;)


I love you Okame Cherry. George Washington, eat your heart out!


Hmmm....another George. Are there too many Georges in this post? No? Good, then I'm going to add a few more.






And my favourite...


You're welcome, Ladies. ;)

23 comments:

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Congrats on your new cherry tree...I really must try moping more often! You're right, your neighbors trees are looking a tad shaggy, I hope your cherry tree can avoid donning a fur coat. I can empathize with concrete soil...our last house, the clay was so bad in summer, we DID resort to using a jack-hammer! Right tool for the job ;D Enjoy your lovely cherry blossoms, I'm sure they'll go just fine with lovely ice-cold brew.

Kyna said...

I sort of did some research on what causes the lichen. All I found was that once they're on there, they're hard to get rid of. And if you try and get rid of them, you can do more harm to the tree than the lichen does. They just look gross, and I don't want that on my nice shiny tree lol.

I totally needed a jackhammer today! I can't believe I didn't break my shovel lol

Thanks for the compliments! :)

Susan (aka Sunny) said...

I glad to know that moping really does pay off :) Love the cherry tree...I'm purchasing a couple pear trees soon...btw we have a huge cherry tree that hangs over our fence from the neighbors and while I like cherries, they tend to make a huge sticky mess on the ground...(and flies are attracted). Probably a good thing you planted it out away from your house.

Noelle Johnson said...

Well, I smiled all the way through your post. You definitely have a wonderful sense of humor ;^) I am so excited for you and your Cherry tree. The blossoms are so beautiful. I have never seen a trunk with lichen growing on it...so thank you for running over and taking a picture of it.

Jayne said...

Great post - I laughed out loud. Your cherry is lovely. I hope it doesn't get shaggy, but actually your neighbor's apple tree looks like it has character, like it might talk to you or something -- in Entish...
I can empathize with the concrete soil too. We had an arborist come and "deep fertilize" our pine tree in the back and about three foot down he hit what seemed like solid concrete!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful flowers on that cherry tree Kyna! But that expression looks a little more menacing than mopey to me...no wonder Mr A was quick to rush off and grab the tree for you :D

Kyna said...

Sunny: Pears are probably the most popular fruiting trees around here. They have such a nice growing habit :) My cherry doesn't really produce significant fruit, I don't think. I wanted one that did, but I figured the mess (and my husband's grumbling) wouldn't be worth it LOL

Noelle: Haha! We were standing admiring the tree shortly after I wrote this post. I was wishing that I had some pics to include about the lichen, and lamenting the fact I was too chicken to ask the neighbour if I could take pics of the tree. And then she started backing out the driveway in her car...Mr. A was like, 'Quick, there's your chance!' LOL. I probably could have just asked her and she would have said ok, she's nice :D It does look very cool in close up like that...

Jayne: I didn't even think of Ents! And I'm the biggest LOTR geek out there. I even have a tattoo I designed myself in Elvish. Shh, don't tell anyone ;)
We not only have the clay/sand problem (which I'm glad you can empathize with), but also a concrete like layer of fossilized seashell in some parts of the yard. Companies mine this stuff out of the sea, and use it to make walls, and crush it up to make paths and roads. Really weird stuff. And it's been dumped all around our property to help stabilize the dirt when they were bulding our house. I hit that crap when I was planting my magnolia in the front yard. My husband had to dig that for me, and I thought it wasn't going to happen LOL.

Gippy: I guess it is menacing, isn't it? LOL I think in my case, the looks are similar. My face just does that when I'm not smiling. People ask me what's wrong all the time when I'm perfectly happy, and just happen to not be smiling :D

Kelly said...

Haha....funny post! I loved it...and I love your new cherry tree. Wherever I live I have to have a cherry tree in the yard. My grandpa gave me the first tree when I was born. Since I was born on George Washington's birthday it was fitting. Interesting story about that tree. The winter my grandpa died, the tree did too. It was only 7 years old. Since then I always have to have a cherry tree near me.

Lisa said...

I actually love lichens and mosses. But then, I live somewhere that has NO RAIN AT ALL for half of the year. So, the life forms like lichens and mushrooms are special, not commonplace.

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

It's a very impressive hole, Kyna! I am a hole digger myself. Sandy and rocky - this is my soil description, and a pickaxe is my tool. I hope your shoulders feel better now. I have a sore back from dragging a bag with garden soil yeasterday from point A to point B. Aah, the pains of spring!

Pat said...

A kooky gardener...got to have fun !
We have that tree and it seems to grow fast even in part shade.
Pretty spring flowers aren't they ?

Kyna said...

Kelly: Aw, what a touching story :D They are such beautiful trees. George Washington's birthday? You're a Feb 22er! So's my brother :) In Canada, all the calendars have that written on the date, or I wouldn't have known that lol.

Lisa: Oh, I think they're pretty cool myself. Just not on MY trees LOL I do think different sorts of mushrooms are neat. If you like them, visit Curbsone Valley Farm's blog. She does a Mushroom Monday feature, pretty cool! Thanks for checking my blog out :D

Tatyana: Haha, I laughed a little at the vision of you dragging that bag, because I've been there myself. Yesterday I must have looked hilarious wrangling the soil and manure bags over to the hole. And I was covered in dirt and manure...best shower I ever had was yesterday afternoon :D

Patsi: I go through life being kooky, I can't keep it out of my blog I guess :D I'm hoping it grows fast, that's another reason I bought it lol. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

Kimberly said...

Kyna, how exciting for you! The cherry tree is beautiful and smells just as lovely, I'm sure. Your hubby definitely loves you! Great job at the digging...the soil does look like concrete. I can only imagine your soreness. But look at your prize!

Kyna said...

It was totally worth it, Kimberly :D Mr. A has this saying 'As long as you don't bring home a pet, you can plant as many trees as you like' LOL. He's been traumatized with living with a massive amount of pets before, so the trees and shrubs are a welcome thing :D

The Idiot said...

Nice tree.

What do you mean, remember when Boy George was normal?

Cheryl said...

The lichen on the tree trunks is fascinating, thanks for sneaking the picture!

Meredith said...

Congratulations! Oh, I love cherry trees; mature ones are like fairy magic in a landscape. And Mr. A is so smart to get you one -- the gift of trees is long remembered. :)

Thanks for that last George. ;)

Shyrlene said...

Kyna -
I SO enjoy your blogs! The way you write 'sounds' like how you must talk; which is totally great!

Nothing gives an adrenline rush like planting. Of course a couple of Advil come in handy when the rush is over! :-o

lotusleaf said...

The soil lookd uncompromising! Godd for you that your cherry tree is flourishing. Have a great weekend!

Jess said...

Mope face Kyna kinda scared me. I'd probably have had you a cherry tree in the back of the truck pretty pronto too.

Its a gorgeous tree!

Kyna said...

IG: Just being silly. I tend to do that...

Cheryl: You're welcome :) It does look pretty neat in close-up camera range lol.

Meredith: I love when he buys me trees and shrubs. Not saying I wouldn't like a bouquet of cut flowers brought home once in awhile, but at least with a tree, it doesn't die after a week. Usually :P

Shyrlene: Haha, thank you so much. You have no idea how much I like to hear that :) I do write like I talk, although some people find that a bit much. I'm glad you don't ;) I sure did hit the Advil after! And the excerise bike. Nothing like planting a tree to realize how out of shape I am lol

lotusleaf: Uncompromising is the word! :) Thank you for stopping by to check out my tree :)

Martha said...

Ooh. Tree with leg warmer. That's just scarey.

Kyna said...

Jess: Well, I have to do what I have to do to have a nice garden! LOL

Chicken: Leg warmer... LOL