Monday, March 29, 2010

Pretty in Pink

I totally would have picked Duckie over Blane. After a dance like this? I would have married the the guy on the spot. Epic fail, Molly Ringwald, epic fail.



The blooming of my 'Ann' Magnolia is one of my favourite parts of the spring. Ok, ok, every part of spring is my favourite part.

But come on! Get a load of this:



I really wish I had planted this shrub in a different spot. I think it gets a leetle too much sun. The leaves get a bit crispy if we have a long heat wave in summer...but it's not too bad if I water a lot.

And it almost looks like one of those little cacti that you see in the checkout line at Lowe's. A green finger with one, huge, fluorescent-coloured bloom on the top of it. The same flower bud on 'Ann' always blooms first, and always blooms the biggest. There are a few other blooms, but they're always smaller and less impressive.

'Ann' is such a slow grower that it'll take forever to get to it's full size. Which, according to the plant tag, will only be about 8ft x 8ft.

Jess @ Children of the Corm is convinced all plant tags lie though, so we'll see. Or maybe I won't...I'll probably be living somewhere else by then!

13 comments:

Floridagirl said...

Your 'Ann' is a beauty, and I think would be priceless if it did stay so small. What a perfect size for a flowering tree! Wish we could grow it here....

Kimberly said...

Ann is gorgeous!!! I've not seen it in Florida. And I love the movie.

Noelle Johnson said...

Your magnolia flower is so beautiful - I love the dark pink color. Each day in spring, I have a new favorite flower ;-)

Jess said...

I hope for you that it does stay small. But if, as you say, its a slow grower, when it gets to its real size of 30 feet tall (because all plant tags do lie!!!) you will be long gone and it will be someone elses problem!!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

It is a really pretty flower, funny that the same one blooms first and biggest every year. We planted a Magnolia tree last year and I'm hoping the buds I see on it are flowers and not just leaves.

Martha said...

Wow, look at that pink. That's gorgeous.

Susan (aka Sunny) said...

Yep...totally the Duckie.... : )and beautiful Magnolia!

The Idiot said...

It's very ... pink!

Meredith said...

I'm in agreement about Molly's epic fail. Duckie totally deserved to get the girl right then and there. (But then, I'm attracted to nerds. ;)

Lovely magnolia. I was just trying to think when I've seen a mature one of that type that was only 8 feet tall... and I cannot remember any. Maybe 12 or 15 feet is about average -- although I love those venerable old ones that get to 30 feet, as Jess predicts. :)

Jan said...

Lovely hot pink shade...
(fuschia)...just beautiful! I enjoy seeing magnolia blooms on everyone's blogs because I don't have any;-( Not sure I have a spot for one. A neighbor down the stree has one, white with pink--or pink with white--it is a sure sign of spring!

Heather said...

Love it, love it, love it. What great colour. I bet it looks terrific on a cloudy day - the pink against a dark grey sky - saw them in the UBC Botanical Gardens on a day like that and they were spectacular.

Pam's English Garden said...

Another plant to add to my list of "wants". That's the trouble with blogging, I keep seeing "must haves". This magnolia is stunning.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Kyna girl ... I never really thought much of Molly Ringwall ? is that her name ? anyways .. I always end up watching the movie over and over again .. why I have no idea ..perhaps it is a subliminal message packed brain washing type movie ?
That is a very hot pink and it is trying to express it's "pinkness" to the world isn't it ?
"Don't worry .. be happy" and oh yeah " ... "let it be .." .. hehe