Friday, January 29, 2010

4 and 20 Blackbirds, Baked in a Pie

Well, the Red-winged Blackbirds are too pretty to eat ;)

Had a huge flock swing by the yard this morning...I took this pic as they were vacating the premises. I wish I would have taken it a couple of seconds sooner, but you can still see the few patches of that bright red wing colour in the flock as it is flying away! :) Especially with the bird at the bottom of the frame.



Maybe they're trying to get all the food they can before the new cold snap sets in here in North Carolina (at this point, I can HEAR my Canadian friends' eyes rolling at the words 'North Carolina cold snap' lol).

We're supposed to have overnight temperatures of below freezing for at least the next week. Daytime temps won't be much better. Most parts of the state are going to be under a snowfall advisory, but I'm not sure yet if we'll see any being so near to the coast. It would be the only snow we've had this winter if it did happen. I wouldn't mind so much if I wasn't so eager to start gardening! My plants all got fooled, and started budding early. It'll be back to the drawing board! :)

10 comments:

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

I enlarged the picture, it looks great! You caught a nice moment, Kyna! Very dynamic.

Kyna said...

Thank you! :)

Yep, it's one of those pics that has to be enlarged, or you would wonder what's so special about it.

I wonder how much time I spend standing on the bathroom toilet taking pictures lol. That's the window that's closest to the bird feeder, and the bottom of the window is screened. My husband does the same thing, so I don't feel too much like an idiot ;)

Anonymous said...

You live close to what looks like a wooded area. That must be nice. I like the flock you photographed.

Kyna said...

Yes, pretty close. There's a farmer's field in between, but it's hard to tell since all the vegetation is that dead yellow colour lol

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Beautiful, and quite the flock that stopped by! I love red-winged blackbirds. Used to have a fallow field across from our old house, and you couldn't step outside without hearing their unmistakable call!

Kyna said...

I had never seen these birds before I moved to NC, they are pretty darn neat :) They just tend to eat all my bird feed in one fell swoop lol.

Jayne said...

Great action shot Kyna. I've never seen those birds before. I can see how they'd clean out the feeders pretty quick!

Kyna said...

Thanks Jayne! :)

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

I love birds, so just had to enlarge the pick. I think it's magnificent to see flocks moving as a group in synchronicity. Great pic!

Kyna said...

Thank you! And thanks for visiting my blog :D I'm glad to meet another a person who's as big of a bird nerd as I am :D