Monday, January 25, 2010

Return of the Tufted Titmouse!

Last year, my bird feeder seemed to always have a tufted titmouse or a cardinal on it. Through the winter, they just sort of disappeared from my yard.

I kept hearing their song taunting me from the woods or my neighbour's trees. :(

We had been using a certain brand of bird feed. I thought they had just changed the bag on us, but I swear they changed the mix on us. The other day I decided to pick up a bag of black oil sunflower seed, to see if that would bring them back.

And behold!


I'm so happy. Anyone remember the T.V. show 'Perfect Strangers'? I did Balki's 'Dance of Joy' LOL

AND Mr. A said that he spotted a female cardinal on the feeder while I was at work.

The lunch counter was busy with other bird patrons as well. The chickadees were enjoying themselves, and I believe those are female purple finches having a snack...

7 comments:

Jayne said...

We don't have tufted titmice (is that the right word?) or at least I haven't seen one. But we do have several male and female cardinals that live in the surrounding area and visit our feeders each day. The males are stunning, but I think the females may be even more beautiful in their own subtle way.

Kyna said...

I think titmice is the right way to say it lol. I like how the cardinals seem to visit in pairs just like the purple finches. It's cool to see the male feeding seeds to the female, kind of romantic for the bird world lol.

Noelle Johnson said...

My goodness, how wonderful that all it took was changing the birdseed. I may have to try different birdseed to see if different birds decide to visit me :^)

Pam's English Garden said...

Hi, Kyna, I am so glad your birds are back. Also, read your previous post and want to wish you both well. Thanks for sharing. Pamela

Kyna said...

Noelle:I think my birds got finicky like a cat. My old cat used to just look at me like, 'Are you serious?' when I tried to switch food lol. Except this time, I think the birdseed makers put one over on me. The birds weren't fooled lol

And thank you Pamela :D Mr. A was telling someone about his bout with cancer earlier today, and every time he does I'm just so glad that he's here to tell it :D

Anonymous said...

That is the only feed I use. I use the little black oil sunflower seed but hulled so only the heart or the chips are used. It costs more but then everything is eaten and nothing is wasted.

Kyna said...

I saw that in the store...I think I'm going to try that. Now that we've squirrel proofed our feeder, I'm not so worried that they'll eat all the bird' food (especially if it's expensive food) :)